Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Blessing...

I’ve always had a passion for the children in Africa and my heart aches for them. It was laid on my heart this afternoon to sponsor a child. I’m now sponsoring a five-year-old girl from Rwanda through Compassion (www.compassion.com) named Uwimana Lithe.


My sponsored child lives in the hillside community of EPR Mbazi, home to approximately 15,000 residents. Typical houses are constructed of dirt floors, mud walls and tin roofs. The primary ethnic group is Banyarwanda and the spoken language is Kinyarwanda. The regional diet consists of maize, beans, bananas, cassava, beef, rice and potatoes. Common health problems in this area include malaria and worms. Most adults in EPR Mbazi are unemployed but some work as day laborers and earn the equivalent of $5 per month. This community needs scholastic materials, extra tutoring classes and affordable secondary education. Because I am sponsoring this child, she will be provided with Bible teaching, choir, hygiene and nutrition education, health screening, exercises, field trips, opportunities to serve the needy, games, tutoring classes, school and home visits and scholastic materials. The center staff will also provide meetings and Bible teaching for the parents or guardians of my sponsored child.


I am incredibly excited about this opportunity that I’ve been given to sponsor and support this little girl across the world—to support her educationally, materialistically, medically, and spiritually :)

No comments: