Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rest in Peace...

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. -Matthew 11:28-30
Dietrich Bonhoeffer stated that "When Christ calls a man he bids him come and die." I know Christ has asked me to give up my very life to serve Him. That could mean any number of things. It might mean I die in the cause of speaking out for the oppressed. It could mean I give up some comforts in order to help others. It might mean I have to make some difficult business decisions. It might mean I give my time to a widow in my neighborhood. I don't know what Christ will ask me to do. But it might not be easy.

That's why Christ's promise is so sweet: When I'm weary from serving, He will give me rest. I'm simply His servant, carrying out the good deeds He has for me. He isn't asking me to carry the burden of the whole world or fix the whole world or be in charge of making sure everything turns out just right. He carries that burden. He asked me simply to love Him and love others and act accordingly.
[taken from "Hope Lives" by Amber Van Schooneveld]

Please watch this video and really take in the lyrics of the song.

No comments: